call us Call Us 402.326.3107

mapspot  PO Box 206
Hustonville, KY, 40437




These are a few of the men and women that went to work in New York and were fatally injured never going home to their families at the end of their shift. We remember, honor and recognize these men and women for their dedication and hardwork. We would like to sincerely thank the families that shared their loved one's picture and their tragic loss with USMWF.  

peopleJorg Borowski, 57

Jorg was killed on the job in January 2015 while working for International Paper Company in Ticonderoga, New York. He died after approximately 97% of his body was burned while changing an ash bag.

Federal OSHA investigated the incident and proposed a $211,000 penalty for three serious violations, two willful and one repeat violation. In an informal settlement the penalty was changed to $245,000.00 for five serious violations and 3 repeat violations . This inspection is closed.  

Inspection: 1020528.015 - International Paper Company

This photo was sent in by his daughter, Jacky Leslie.

---- He was severely (97% of his body) burned while changing an ash bag that caught fire. It was investigated by OSHA...citations were handed out (end of July). My father was an amazing man. He raised my sister and I alone since I was five and she was four. He was always a hard worker, and would do anything to help anyone. He actually battled and beat lymphoma five years ago, so the fact that he made it through that fight and ended up passing away from an accident like this is angering to say the least. He enjoyed hunting and fishing, but most of all his grandchildren. He had actually just bought my oldest son his first fishing pole not long before the accident, unfortunately he will not have the opportunity to be with him when he uses it for the first time. It is so hard to put in words how important my dad was and how special he was. Not a day goes by that I don't think of him and miss him.

~2/10/57 - 1/23/2015 ~

peopleChristopher G Conklin, 26

Christopher was killed in May 2014 while working for Optimum in Long Island, New York.

Federal OSHA is currently investigating the incident. The case is still open as of 8/29/2015.

Inspection: 946580 - Optimum.

This photo was sent in by his father Gordon.

---- Christopher was ready for his next step in life looking at house to buy and due to get married in 4 months. We miss him more then words could ever express.

~ 6/24/1987 - 5/15/2014 ~

peopleStacy Lynn (Walls) McKinney, 27

Stacy was killed July 2006 in Tulare, NY when assaulted by her employer.

This is not in OSHA's jurisdiction.

This photo was sent in by her sister Christy Walls. ----FAUSTON BASSO SENTENCED TO 27 YEARS AND 8 MONTHS IN STATE PRISON -On July 20 2009, Tulare County Superior Court Judge Darryl Ferguson imposed a prison sentence of 27 years and 8 months in state prison on 39-year-old Fausto (Mike) Basso of Garden City, New York. On June 4, 2009 the defendant plead no contest to voluntary manslaughter, assault with a deadly weapon, and residential burglary. He admitted that he personally used a firearm during the crimes and that he inflicted great bodily injury. The defendant killed victim Stacey McKinney age 28 on July 13, 2006 in her home in Tulare. The defendant also inflicted serious injury on victim Andrew McKinney age 29, during the attack. All three crimes are violent felonies or strike offenses under the 'Three Striker' law. Furthermore, his credits are limited to 15% on the entire case. He was ordered to pay over $11,000 in restitution and over $1000 in fines. This case was prosecuted by Deputy District Attorney Afreen Kaelble, and investigated by Detective Todd Davis of the Tulare Police Department and Investigator Brain of the Tulare County District Attorney's Office Bureau of Investigations.

~7/13/2006 ~

peopleDirk Remington, 46  

Dirk was killed in December 2009 while working for Demand Communication, Inc. in Owego, New York. He died in a tower collapse.

OSHA investigated the incident and proposed a $2,400.00 penalty for one serious violation and one other than serious violation.  The penalties and viloations were not lowered, This case is closed.

Inspection: 312372824 - Demand Communications, Inc. one serious one other than serious.

This photo was sent in by his father Dale Remington. ---- They were in the process of replacing guy wires in a maintenance job. The tower collapsed at approximately 2:30 in the afternoon and the outcome of the OSHA investigation has not been completed. Also Sent by Daughter Denny Remington, who states he is my father and best friend.

~ 4/22/1963 - 12/14/2009~

peopleMichael Joseph Simermeyer, 31

Michael was killed in April 2012 while working at Yonkers Contracting (MTA No. 7 train extension project) in Manhattan, New York. He was crushed when a tower crane collapsed and crushed him.

Federal OSHA investigated the incident and proposed a $68,000.00 penalty for seventeen serious violations. In an informal settlement the penalty was not reduced but the citations were reduced to ten.

Inspection: 330046.015 - Yonkers Contracting Company, Inc.

Photo sent in by his mother Colleen Simermeyer

----My Son- Michael Joseph Simermeyer age 30 - Born January 10 1982- lost his life on April 3 2012 when a crane collapsed at 7:20 pm at 34th street NYC while working on the number 7 line train extension. Michael was know as a man with a good heart who gave hugs to anyone in need of some comfort. He always lit up a room with his bright smile and sense of humor. He loved children and was planning on getting serious now that he turned 30 and finding a nice girl and starting a family. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration cited Yonkers Contracting Co. with 10 violations and fined $68,000 for violations. OSHA also cited his employer, subcontractor J&E Industries, with one violation related to the accident. The company also was cited with violations related to ensuring proper training of crane riggers, permitting a worker inside the crane’s fall zone and failing to conduct required annual functional testing of the hoist. “Fundamental, vital and required safety practices were not followed in this case, resulting in the most extreme consequence: the loss of a worker’s life,” Kay Gee, OSHA’s area director in Manhattan, said in a statement. “Had the proper procedures been followed, this incident and this worker’s death could have been prevented.” As of May 9th 2013 there is still no resolution to this case with OSHA. I get monthly updates from OSHA from the NYC office. We have started a Face Book page in Memory of Michael Joseph Simermeyer, 2 softball teams & a marathon runner runs with my sons name. We don't want anyone to forget just who Michael was, and that this beautiful life was taken in a senseless construction accident. To see more about Michael

~ 1/10/1982 - 4/3/2012 ~

peopleDavid James Taylor, 44

David was killed in September 2010 while working at Bryan Zehr Logging in Redfield , New York. He died after he was pinned between to felled logs.

Federal OSHA investigated the incident and proposed a $17,400.00 penalty for sixteen serious violation and one other than serious violation. In an informal settlement the penalty was reduced to $2,000.00 for three serious violations and one other than serious violation.

Inspection: 314347287 - Bryan Zehr Logging

This photo was sent in by his parents Karen and Jim Taylor.

~ 11/18/74 - 9/28/10 ~

peopleScott S. Winkler, 50

Scott was killed on the job in December 2013 while working for Precision (based out of Congers, New York) in Monroe, New York. He died when a wall collapsed and crushed him.

OSHA investigated the incident and proposed a $14,000.00 penalty for two serious violations. They are contesting the penalties and violations.

Timothy Lang, 53 was lost and Rafael Zakota, 37 was injured in this incident.

Inspection: 950705.015 - Precision Concrete Pumping, Inc.

This photo was sent by his daughter Brittany Winkler.

---- Scott S. Winkler was a 30-year member of the International Union of Operating Engineers. Scott was killed from a workplace incident. He was pouring concrete when a retaining wall collapsed. Both him and his coworker were trapped beneath the wall. His coworker was pronounced dead when his body was recovered by rescuers at the scene. Scott was flown to the hospital where he suffered from many injuries for 8 days before losing his life.

OSHA completed their investigation and they cited the general contractor, for two (2) serious violations. The first violation was issued because three braces to support the formwork that workers were pouring concrete into were missing, leading the structure to collapse, according to the citation notice. The second violation was issued for not having the drawings for the formwork on the construction site. Serious violations are issued for hazardous conditions that could result in death or serious physical harm in substantial probability. Each violation at the site carries a $7,000 fine, the maximum amount for a serious violation.

~ 1/3/1963 ~ 12/10/2013 ~