call us Call Us 402.326.3107

mapspot  PO Box 23346
Lexington, KY, 40517

logo USMWF

Family Resource Guide After A Work Incident.

We are truly sorry for your loss. As families that know and understand first hand what you are going through our family members created a guide that we hope assist you after your tragic loss. Please be advised we are a national organization therefore we recommend that you check at your local level (a funeral home maybe able to assist you) what is your requirements as there maybe some differences. However, we would be happy to assist in anyway, so do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions as we are here to offer you support, guidance and resources.

Resource guide of what to do after the loss of a loved one in a work incident;
Death of a spouse in a job-related incident.

  • Gather Social Security numbers, birth and marriage certificates, military discharge papers (DD214), company benefits booklets, car titles, powers of attorney, and current statements for bank, brokerage and retirement accounts. Paycheck stubs for the previous 6 months.
  • Gather phone numbers up for all financial institutes, utility companies, and creditors that would have deceased as either a debtor or creditor on it. WORKER’S COMPENSATION
  •  Research online to understand workers compensation laws in your spouse state of residence and the state the accident happened if different from resident state. You may claim workers compensation from either state.
  • Know percentage of spouse’s income that WC pays and the maximum amount per week that WC will pay. Workers compensation insurance should contact surviving spouse. If not ask spouses employer for contact info. (for instance a worker resides in Georgia and the on the job accident happened in Nebraska. Research revealed WC in GA was 60% of avg weekly earnings income for the last 6 months with a $545 weekly maximum payout for a lifetime or until they cohort with another or remarry.  and NE was 60% of weekly avg income for last 6 months with a $840 weekly maximum a lifetime or until they cohort with another or remarry) as example: I was allowed to make workers compensation pay from Nebraska rules which were significantly higher income although we lived in Georgia.
  • Medical bills: Any medical bills acquired for treatment of accident should be paid by workers compensation. If you receive a bill for any of the medical expense, notify workers compensation of the expense and forward bill to WC. Workers compensation also pays expense of funeral, cremation cost up to a said amount.
  • Spouses employer by law has to offer COBRA to surviving spouse. It will be administered by a third party and you have the option to purchase medical and dental insurance and in some cases life insurance on yourself or depended all based on the benefits in place prior to accident. Survivor would be listed as employee and  children as dependents. The cost will be what the employee paid plus the amount the company paid . Often times is too much.


  • Funeral home – you are allowed to choose funeral home of choice. Often times the funeral home will help by notifying social security of the death and by applying for veterans death benefits which would include a flag and grave marker.. But always make sure you know what they have filed with social security and with veterans admin.
  • Funeral home will order death certificates. The number needed differs based on what institution require such as banking, financial accounts, Property tax, etc.

    This will save you on how many you may need. Most say at least 8-10

Veterans Administration- If funeral home has not filed you can go to your local Veterans Administration and ask for death benefit package. Required documents are SSN and DD214.
        VA forms to fill out:
            · Form 29-4125 Claim for one sum payment $250.
            · Form 40-1330 Claim for standard government headstone or ninche marker (crematory marker)
            · Form 40-0247 Presidential Memorial Certificate request
            · Form 21P-530 Application for Burial Benefits
            · Form 40-10007 Application for burial in a National cemetery
            · Form 21-2008 American Flag request.
                     (flags can be picked up at local United States Postal Service or at the Veteran Administration.)

  • There are additional benefits through the VA such as aide and attendance. This service is for survivor who relied solely on the deceased veteran for income and for ADLs (activities of daily living such as bathing, dressing, cooking, etc.) Just ask or research benefits of surviving spouse for more information.
  • A United States flag is provided, at no cost, to drape on the casket or accompany the urn of the deceased Veteran. To receive such honor you can go to your local post office or American Legion with your loved one’s death certificate and dd214.
    Social Security Claim – File for Social Security. It is better to apply soon and in person.
  • Deceased Social Security can be claimed by a 60+ year old spouse, a disabled widow, and  minor children 18 years and younger

Financial and Tax Institutions:

  • Notify banking institutions.
  • Checking -its advised to wait 2 years before removing the deceased person’s name because there could be checks with their name on it (refund checks or other checks) The bank will not cash or deposit if deceased name is not on account.
  • Retirement accounts 401K, 403B, IRA, Roth IRA
  • Mortgage – Notify of death. If necessary, ask to apply for a hardship. Sometimes this allows for a month to be skipped. Also, if necessary, file a hardship loan. Hardship loans could lower your monthly payment.

Notify insurances:

  • Life insurance-file claim (if through employer deceased employer will have contact info)
  • Accidental death insurance-file claim (deceased employer will have contact info)
  • Hospital indemnity-file claim (deceased employer will have contact info)
  • Auto insurance- Notify of death removing

Notify Tax authorities:

  • Local county Tax Commissioner – Notify of death for any property that taxes are paid on.
  • Clerk of Court – for land deed changes. Would require attorney to file.

Notify creditors:

  • Credit card company – If deceased solely responsible an attorney is advised for probate.
  • Utilities: water, electric, gas, cable, satellite, internet
  • Auto loans
  • Student loans
  • Notify Local Offices for need based care.
  • Family and children services (DFACS) for Medicaid, EBT (food stamps), etc.

For your convienence we are currently working on additional guides based on each family member. Although the guide above will be very similiar to other guides we will specifically have a guide if you lost a child, grandparent etc. If you have any suggestion to add to the guides please contact Tonya Ford at as your experiences and advise is very important to us to assist other family member victims after their tragic loss.